Monday, September 19, 2011

Eats, Shoots and Leaves

I am far from a perfect punctuater - I over comma like nobody's business. (I also make up words like "punctuater", but that is not what we're talking about right now.) But I understand the difference between a possessive and a plural and it drives me absolutely crazy when people completely reject the notion of apostrophes, or much more commonly throw it in whenever an S comes to live at the end of a word.

Today I was at Winco, a grocery store that is pretty sketchy, but also highly entertaining. I end up taking pictures of funny things I see there more than anywhere else. One time there was a box of dog food called "Moist and Meaty" with the phrase "That's what she said" handwritten on it. I promptly took a picture and sent it to everyone I know. One time there was a crate of bath mats that were essentially rag rugs made out of jersey knit, and the tag said, "Luxury Bath Rugs." That was so preposterous, I snapped up a picture. But today, there were multiple endcaps near the registers that have new (at least to my notice) signs up.
What is this sign saying, really Winco? Are you selling children as well as candy? It should go without saying that that's not legal or moral. Are you trying to say, "Kids! There's candy over here!! Come throw a tantrum until your parents buy it for you." Are you saying that this candy can only be purchased and ingested by children? Maybe old people like skittles too. If you were to add proper punctuation, I would know. But for now, I will just assume that is where you meet the sketched out guy who will sell you children on the black market. Along with some bubbletape, of course.

3 comments:

Michael and Natalie said...

I ALWAYS take pictures at Winco. That place is such a trip! With there three feet long tubes (exaggeration?) of ground beef and bacn' salt...

joojierose said...

moist and meaty stop the car. i read that aloud to toni at a very inopportune moment as the dental office called 30 seconds later and we were laughing till crying. why does being on the phone when you shouldn't be laughing just make you laugh more? bah! physics!

beckie said...

where do you buy the adults candy?