Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Desert Island

Being inclined to indecision, I am not someone who enjoys games like Desert Island. I don't like to pigeonhole myself. That being said, I was talking with one of my friends about his desert island choices, because I surely refused to name any, and he got so frustrated that here I am, three days later, arbitrarily assigning things to my desert island survival packing list.

The topics were these:

Books:
1. Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
2. The complete works of Jane Austen
3. The In Search of Lost Time series by Marcel Proust (mostly because I'm halfway through now and would like to have it as one of my accomplishments to have read all of Proust, even if I happen to be stranded on an island.)
4. The complete works of Oscar Wilde
5. Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

Movies:
1. Rear Window (1954)
2. The Muppet Movie (1979)
3. Something with Colin Firth (Not the A&E/BBC Pride & Prejudice, because the girls just aren't cute enough "Poor Jane, in deed!" - maybe Love Actually or Bridget Jones Diary; I'm not sure, but also probably not The Importance of Being Earnest, because I will of course, on this hypothetical island, have that to read.)
4. Das Leben der Anderen/The Lives of Others (2006)
5. The Sting (1973) (I opted for this over The Way We Were because Paul Newman is in it, and I already have a chick flick with the Colin Firth pick, so sorry K-K-K-Katie.)

Albums:
1. Mendelssohn's Leider Ohne Worte/Songs Without Words (preferably performed by Ilse von Alpenheim, but I could be persuaded elsewhere)
2. Dylan - either Blood on the Tracks(1975) or Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
3. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976)
4. The Beatle's white album (1968) (I felt the anthology would have been a cop out, though I would choose to take it all.)
5. Muddy Waters' Anthology
6. Beethoven's Fidelio (Otto Klemperer conducting)
7. Sam Cooke's Portrait of a Legend
8-11 All of Rilo Kiley's albums.

Let's face it my iPod is far more convenient than taking LPs or CDs and a device to play them with... Remember Out of Africa and the records out on safari (is it too late to add Out of Africa to the list?), the iPod would be a lot less sexy, but a lot more practical especially if we could work out some sort of solar power situation. While I prefer some of my little songs over others, I cannot say I dislike many of the 13,844 songs in my iPod, for that is why they are in my library to begin with. And if I take my iPod of this exotic journey, I can have episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Arrested Development with me, in addition to several movies I could put on there in preparation for this desert-ment. (I don't watch Lost, but perhaps I could get all of those episodes on to my iPod to have a sort of theme-night.)

Have iPod, will travel.

What are your desert island picks? This really is a lame game, isn't it?

2 comments:

Britt said...

haha i dont think i have ever followed through and played that game...i was more into M.A.S.H., you know? way impressed by your decisiveness!

Deanna said...

I'm not doing it.
xoxoxo