Sunday, September 28, 2008

Not everyone understands the predictable nature of humanity like me.

I was at the park the other day with three of my favorite kids and Yasu, the Japanese exchange student that is staying with them. We were all playing when a group of middle aged power walkers came to sit at a picnic table near by. A few of them struck up a conversation with me, telling me how adorable the children are. People frequently think that these half Guatemalan children are mine, and some times it is easier just to go along. But this day, they assumed that Yasu was the father. Just like Stephen Colbert, these women couldn't see race. I thought it was kind of funny. The problem came when I started clearing up the misunderstanding.

Molly: He's not their father.
Judging-Power-Walker: Oh. I thought... [insert judgment expression here]Do the kids get to see their fathers often?
Molly: Yes. They've just got one, and he lives at home with them.
JPW: But two of them are so dark, and one is blonde.
Molly: You just thought a Japanese kid was their father.
JPW: Oh, I thought he was Mexican.

OH SNAP!

2 comments:

joojierose said...

um. amazing.

whitney allison said...

people seriously don't pay attention to what they say do they?