I have very specific karaoke song criteria, which is how it takes me 40 minutes to choose one mediocre song.
- Song cannot be too long. No "American Pie." No "Free Bird"
- Song must not have longer than 4 measures of instrumental business at a time. Long guitar solos are awkward.
- Song can't be too repetitive, especially at the end. It should end cleanly. ("Midnight Train to Georgia," I'm looking at you.)
- I must know the song. ("Motownphilly" burned me before.)
- Song must be popular enough that people know it, but not so popular that everyone ever knows all of the words and/or are sick of it.
- I have to sound at least pretty good singing it.
Pat Benatar? Bruno Mars? Ke$ha? Nancy Sinatra? The BeeGees? The options are literally endless. I only know that I'm not allowed to do Melanie's "Brand New Key." Man oh man. My life is so hard.