Friday, April 13, 2012

"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

That of course is a line from one of my all-time favorite comedies, "This is Spinal Tap." I bring it up because recently I discovered that "Rock n Roll High School" is on Netflix streaming right now.  My brother, who introduced me to the Ramones at a very young age, had tried for a long time to get a copy of this movie. He ended up with a Japanese Laser Disc, back in the day, with awesome bright yellow Japanese subtitles throughout that you couldn't turn off. We of course watched it anyway. Then DVDs happened and "Rock n Roll" was back in print. But now with Netflix streaming, I can tell you all to go and spend a very delightful 90 minutes with a truly amazing soundtrack. I may or may not have watched it twice in the past month on streaming.

My favorite parts include the music teacher from the school, and Eagle Bauer* (played by the incomparable Clint Howard.) Also, I love when Kate hands the excuse notes to Principal Togar. Really Kate, the first note could have gotten Riff out of class for more than one day. That's all I'm saying.

Anyway, it is clever and stupid, and you will giggle.

*When he demonstrates like six different bra fasteners to Tom - they are all velcro, which I don't think is used as a fastener on any bra. But he's working with a blowup doll, so that's already pretty complicated.

1 comment:

John said...

If we weren't traveling today, watching this would be Melinda and my plans for the night. As it is, it will have to wait until Tax Day.