Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Have You Heard: Pop inspired by POTO

What is POTO you ask? Clearly I am talking about Andrew Lloyd Webber's classic 1980s musical version of Gaston Leroux' novel Phantom of the Opera. And I should just state right now that "inspired by" is far too strong a phrase. 

A few months ago Annie sent me an email telling me to immediately listen to "Primadonna" by Marina and the Diamonds. I did. I loved it (it's so dancey!). As a bonus, I then became O.B.S.E.S.S.E.D. with another song off her new album, "How to be a Heartbreaker." Thank you, Annie.



The connection to POTO came when my friend Tiffany told me her boyfriend David busted out into Primadonna and my mind immediately went to Marina & the Diamonds, but I was mistaken. 

Then I heard and fell in love with Nicki Minaj's song "Masquerade." Sure she doesn't use proper grammar, uh, ever, but it's kinda my favorite. 


(oh fan vids.)

Two songs with the same titles as tracks from Phantom of the Opera in one summer? Here's hoping David Guetta will come out with a song called "Think of Me" and Katy Perry one called "Point of No Return" and here's hoping it is better than this one.
 

1 comment:

Melinda said...

So I now have Marina and the Diamonds on constant replay while I grade after school thanks to you!