Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Textual Pet Peeves brought to you by the ever-rational Annie and Molly.

Last night as Annie was regaling Becky and I with a first date story from the weekend,  she read us the text this guy sent to her exactly 72 hours later. In this word alert (!) was the word "ya." Annie expressed her disdain for grown men using the word "ya" in written form, and then she and Becky discussed how it was very important to them to send and receive texts that were properly spelled and punctuated. I told them that I didn't really care. And that is totally true. I don't care. It would be hypocritical of me to care. I have so many typograpical Eros* in my texts, I'm lucky if I send one that hasn't been auto-corrected away from my original thought entirely. Annie cares about proper spelling, grammar and punctuation in a way that I can't really relate to. She was surprised at my lackadaisical approach to texts, I think her exact phrase was, "you seem like the kind of person who would care about that."

Later on in the evening, as Annie and Mr. First Date continued their textual convo, he sent her another text, she read allowed the message and punctuation, when the phrase "double exclamation points" came out of Annie's mouth, I groaned. "Ugh, double exclamation points? That's the worst! Along with emoticons. Guys should never zealously punctuate." To which Annie replied, "Really?!? I like that." And Becky just laughed. Apparently I can relate.

We all agreed that we didn't like texting (word alerting?) as a mode of conversation, but also that a text was better than nothing.

*See what I did there?

No comments: