Friday, April 27, 2012

Call and Response

One of my most favorite things about my church is that every member of the congregation is given a calling - a responsibility - to contribute to the community of our wards and stakes. For a year and a half I was first counselor in our ward's Relief Society presidency. Then I got released almost two weeks ago. I was kind of bummed out about it, and also totally anxious about what could potentially be my next calling. The anxiety compounded when I heard our ward choir director was going back to school the very same week I got released.

Anyway, last night I was issued a new calling, and I won't go in to the details of it until I get sustained and set apart in a couple of weeks, but the conversation that ensued was pretty funny.

Me: So, presumably, I will now have to attend [such and such] activities?
Stake Presidency Member I'd Never Met Before: Can I infer from that statement you don't already attend?
Me: That would be a correct inference.
Stake Presidency Member I'd Never Met Before: Yes. You not only have to attend, you get to plan them and be the face of them.
Me: Shoot... ok. I guess I can do that.

The good news is I am not the ward choir director.

2 comments:

Britt said...

better than my bursting into tears and subsequently being asked to go home and pray about it ;)

love it.

Melinda said...

Enrichment committee maybe??