Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Have You Heard: Cut Copy & Ellie Goulding

 You know how so many girls have that boyfriend who comes in and shapes their musical taste to a far superior situation than Tiffany, Donny Osmond or the Monkees*?** The closest thing I've come to that is my old friend Manasseh insisting that I didn't listen to enough Bob Dylan. Now, every time I hear "You're going to make me lonesome when you go" I think of him. Not because he made me lonesome when he left, but because he was obsessed with it, and rightly so. (He also introduced me to only person named "Snake" I've ever met.)  I bring this up because I've had to mostly fend for myself as far as music goes, and by fend for myself I clearly mean depending on the kindness of strangers suggestions from friends, musicians and a pretty hip uncle. But I've been super lazy with finding new music recently. If it's not Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory" I probably don't know it.  For the past few years, as so many of you who get mixes from me can attest, I've been going back in time (sadly, not literally,) to find music I love. Instead of being on the forefront like I tried so hard to be in my college years, now if my iPod had a scent it would smell like all of my vintage clothes.

The good news is, I've started to notice myself trending toward newer songs again, which is good news for someone who is in fact far too young to have been alive for any of the things I am nostalgic for. (1954-1962, I'm talking to you.)

One of these friends a couple of years ago gave me a copy of Cut Copy's In Ghost Colours. I liked how 80s and dancey  it was. (I never said I was discerning. I love Depeche Mode, The Cure and Adam Ant. LOVE.) Thanks to accidentally clicking the wrong thing on my iTunes, I discovered that Cut Copy had an album out earlier this year, and I have flipped my lid for the track, "Take Me Over." flipped.



And, because I also love good house/techno business... I was reading this month's Vanity Fair, and it told me to check out Ellie Goulding, so I did. I don't like it all, but "Lights" is one of the greatest tracks I've heard in a while.



*Two of those three I have on my iPod. I'll give you a hint. I saw the one that isn't on my iPod at the Costco gas station in Provo one time, and I thought, "How do I know him? Was he one of my professors?" It took a couple of minutes of awkward staring at the person at the pump in front of me, and someone else to go up to him and shake his hand for me to realize who he was.

**Holly, if you're reading this, I'm only sort of talking about you. ;)

No comments: