Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The celebratory karaokeing.

After our victory on the Office front, Becky, Shara and I decided to head over to the Cheerful Tortoise to do a little karaoke. To say we had a lot of fun would be a huge understatement. But, I'm afraid I won't be able to fully convey the amount of fun had through this blog -- but you know I'm going to try.

We got there and quickly made friends with the two couples at the table next to ours who were four pitchers and several glasses of wine in to their evening. They seemed like they would do anything, so I suggested they sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" after a girl completely butchered "You're my Best Friend" by Queen. They didn't go for it, and I was a little sad. We each did a little number, I chose one of my all time favorite songs, "Brand New Key" and the karaoke DJ told me it was a good song, and the whole lot of baby boomers who were there sang along with me. (At this point I should state that the karaoke dj, whose song choices led us to believe he was Becky's karaoke soul mate, seemed familiar to Becky. In fact, she thought he was the same guy as the cross dresser who had been the DJ on a previous visit to the Cheerful Tortoise.) After a few minutes, our drunk friends called it a night, and it brought the active karaoke-ers down to the three of us, the DJ, the crazy muttering homeless woman who didn't actually sing the songs so much as sometimes slur a few of the lyrics, and Andy, a white kid who rapped Eminem and MC Hammer with the best of them.

After a while - lots of songs by Andy and the three of us solo and in various pairings, a group of five guys showed up. Four of them were young, and one was middle aged. We were immediately intrigued by the dynamic of their group. Two of them started their karaoke night off with a Toby Keith (I think?) song, and decided to serenade Shara on bended knee. It was DELIGHTFUL. Next was Shara and I singing "Alone" by Heart. Everything was normal until Shara and the tall kid who serenaded her started talking during my portion of the song. Then I announced, "I'm singing," like the diva I am, (it was mostly a joke, and it got chuckles). The tall kid told me I should sing to him. And that is how Shara and I got new gay boyfriends. (Shara even got a phone number during our song!) A few songs later, who ended up being the birthday boy, Connor, and the kid who gave Shara his number did a version of "I'll Cover You" from Rent, which we felt we should answer with "Take me Baby, or leave me" which would have been a lot better if I actually knew the song... Oh well. (Shara, next time I promise I'll know the lesbian love song better!)

The highlight of the evening for me had to be Becky, who after one of her numbers was asked by the not-currently-cross-dressing-dj-who-is-her-karaoke-soul-mate asked her if she liked Sheryl Crow. Not more than 10 seconds later, they were sharing a mic, he was holding her neck, and they were singing that Kid Rock, Sheryl Crow song. PRICELESS!

Shara bought birthday boy Connor and his friends (and his dad) a round of shots, which I thought was super kind of her, and Connor and his father paid her back by singing an AMAZING version of Hall & Oates' Maneater. Delightful!!! And the four younger guys did BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY!!! I didn't even have to ask. They were so funny.

When we left, people were vocally sad to see us leave - which is ALWAYS a good thing. What do you say girls, can we go back this weekend?

No comments: