Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Have You Heard: Christina Perri

I am someone who's musical moods are constantly in flux. For the past few years I haven't really been feeling the singer/songwriter melancholic* tunes that I previously enjoyed so much, and that is still the case, but I do really like the new Christina Perri song that is everywhere these days, "Arms."



The first time I heard it on the radio, I thought, "wow that song sounds familiar" -- especially the melody on the line "I hope that you catch me 'cause I'm already falling." I have since decided that it sounds like a Dolly Parton song. Not in a George Harrison "My Sweet Lord"/The Chiffons "He's So Fine" kind of way, but in a more "Anatomy of a Murder" is the best Hitchcockian movie Hitch never made. So, even though I can't figure out which of Dolly's songs this sounds like it sounds like something she would write. Not only that, the ornamentation on the vocals is very reminiscent of Dolly. So it makes sense that I like this song, because I like Dolly so.

Would you be a dear and make the neurological connection that I can't, and then please let me know?

*Maybe I shouldn't call this song melancholic, after all there are an orchestra and bells** utilized. But it certainly screams singer/songwriter.

**Dolly Parton over-produces some of her songs too. I submit as evidence:

2 comments:

Britt said...

i love this song. and now i can't remember where i heard it. sounds like it belongs on a grey's anatomy episode...in a good way :)

- A said...

i have at least two blog posts dedicated to miss perri. i enjoy her greatly:)