Monday, June 14, 2010

what the photos

Deanna's posts about her travels put mine to such shame. Although, her collection of stamps in her passport would put mine to shame also. But, I do intend to actually share experiences I had - especially now that I've been home for nearly month. Which, how is that possible? Where does the time go? I have been working on about 880 projects of varying scale and feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, but I am trying to focus and finish, then move on.

And so, here is some focusing, although I have so many photos to share, I won't finish for some time. Now some, "what the?" photos from my Africa experience.

"Luangwa Valley - tranquil, unhurried, natural, inspiring and safe?" "AND SAFE?" Really, Zambian tourism board? Really?



While we were in Lusaka, there was one place Heather would let us be after dark, Manda Hill (translated Manda means cemetery) a mall with a grocery store, expensive clothing stores, restaurants and the racial minorities of Indian, white, and Arabic. One of the clothing stores had this AMAZING, but perhaps gender-confused dummy.


How many times in my life have I made some sort of potato dish? Thousands. How many times have regular russet potatoes turned dark mahogany brown? Once. That's right. Those are potatoes. Terrifying. But, there wasn't exactly Chinese take out, and even if there was, we didn't have a phone.


I have long been a water snob. I believe that water should taste like water, and nothing else. They add minerals to bottled water in the States for taste, I'm not sure what their reasoning is in Africa, but they also publish the ph level. This one was only 7.3, but had some that was 7.6 and even 7.8. Kind of crazy. At least the water is basic and not acidic.




We saw this woman multiple times, wearing this hat each time. While we were renting the car she was waiting, so I had to sneak around behind her and take a picture. She was wearing this hat sitting alone at a car rental place at the Jo'burg airport.


I like funky hair as much as the next person, well maybe slightly less, but this woman's extensions were SO HORRIBLE. I took this on my iPhone, so it's not the clearest thing in the world, but there were about 7 colors in there and half of them were colors that should never be on someone's head.


So you say you want a shot sold in a little bag of plastic. I can tell you where to find them. Oh EVERYWHERE.


Remember in the classic film, Joe vs. The Volcano, and how the Waponis loved orange soda? I think they found the inspiration here.


We stumbled upon a HUGE Red Cross blood drive with thousands of people, presumably all there to see Slap D, a SUPER popular rapper, either him or the 20 inflatables kids were bouncing in. I thought Slap D was pretty fun, and was dancing a lot and everyone around us was staring at me. Like they'd never seen a white girl dance before... oh... but the point is, really, a blood drive in Zambia? I'm sure you know what you're doing Red Cross, but I am at a loss.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

You're too kind.
Mmmm...fanta!
xoxoxo

Britt said...

yayayayay! can't wait for more!

Melinda said...

John was very impressed by the orange soda! That Zambia poster is awesome!

beckie said...

My co-workers and I were thoroughly entertained. thank you.