Saturday, November 28, 2009

Accomplishment:

I am someone who likes pumpkin. I like pumpkin pie okay, but for thanksgiving, a holiday only celebrated by social eating, why serve the same old pumpkin pie? Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with cranberry compote, which was super yummy. And this year, I decided to try something I saw on the Food Network. Ina Garten, aka the Barefoot Contessa, and my all time fave, made a pumpkin roulade with ginger butter cream. I thought I'd mix it up and put an orange cream cheese frosting inside it instead of the ginger butter cream, and boy howdy, it was rich, and delicious. Since my computer has yet to be replaced, I don't have a picture of it to post, but think of a really big hostess ho ho. In order to make it all roll uppy like roulades are by definition you flip it out of the pan onto a towel as soon as it comes out of the oven, then you roll it up and let it cool, (later to unroll it and add the filling). When I flipped that 13" x 18" cake out of the pan and rolled it up without anything breaking I had this huge sense of accomplishment. I would liken it to the time when Heidi taught me how to bust a coal, aka start a fire by rubbing sticks together. After rolling up that cake I had the rush of, "I have made fire! I have made fire!" (and by fire, I mean a cake, rolled up in a towel.)

No comments: