Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Best Album of the Aughts

Last night at FHE, my friend Brian and I were talking about what we considered the the best album of the aughts (a phrase I am not terribly comfortable with considering aught means anything - maybe you're supposed to spell it like "ought" as in, I ought to have spent 2000-2009 being more productive and responsible?)

So, Brian presented what I will call "some viable options" but, I of course shot them down, for that is what I do. I declared that Ryan Adams' Gold was the best of the oughts. (I'm sticking with that spelling.) To me that really is a perfect album, but it's like my mind started at the beginning of the decade and just arbitrarily chose a first awesome album I came across. I only made it one year in to the decade for crying out loud.

Since then, albums have been compiling themselves in to a list in my brain. Including:
  • Smile - Brian Wilson
  • American IV - Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash
  • Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot - The Flaming Lips
  • More Adventurous - Rilo Kiley
  • Plans - Death Cab for Cutie
  • Elephant - The White Stripes
  • Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
  • The Langley Schools Music Project - Innocence and Despair
  • Poses - Rufus Wainwright
I just instantly went to Ryan Adams, forsaking all the rest. Which is shocking knowing me.

No comments: