Sunday, March 8, 2009

Christmas Letter, 2004

My grandparents have never really cared for me, although, to be completely honest, I've never really minded. I found myself going through some of my aunt's old papers today and I came across my grandparents' Christmas Letter from 2004 and thought that I should share what, according to my Grandmother, what all of us grandkids were doing in 2004.

My brother was mentioned first (they really seem to like him)
: Our grandson Blake, Drew's son, took a five month self directed bicycle tour in Europe this year. He started in England, went from there to the Northern coast of France, followed the Western coast line to Spain spending the bulk of his time in Spain and Portugal. He flew from Barcelona to Amsterdam and spent a few days in Holland before returning from England. Blake called us from New York - "Hey, Gramma, I'm back. I'm in Brooklyn!" (My father's birthplace.) This is true.

Then came Davie:
Our youngest grandson Davey, passed his state exam and is now a CPA! We are all very proud of him. He works for KPMG - the most prestigious accounting firm in our lovely state since Arthur Anderson had to leave. He bought a small house and is very independent. This is true, except Davie spells his name with an "ie".

Now me:
Molly is a senior at BYU this year. She is majoring in film and is planning to become an independent screenwriter and film editor. Bill and I are encouraging her to do her graduate work at USC even though there is a lot of independent film making going on in the Portland area. Molly is very much a "my way" girl and we suspect that she really doesn't put much credence in our recommendations.*

Juxtaposed with: Nikki will be pursuing a career in nursing upon her graduation next August. It is always a thrill for us to see these kids graduate. It is even more so when they have a specific goal in mind. Nikki also had a lovely son that could have been mentioned, but maybe that would have painted her in a negative light since she wasn't married at that point?

Now, you can tell she really is getting her bragging on with Devon:
The oldest of the grandkids is Devon. Dev is the public relations director of the Everett Silvertips, a semi professional ice hockey team. He lives in Everett, Washington and we don't get to see him too often. Everett is a small town just north of Seattle that enthusiastically supports their hockey team. Dev is truly in his element and has been greatly responsible for the increase in attendance at local games. It also helps to have a good team and the Silvertips went to the national finals. Way to go, Devon!

And lastly,
Our granddaughter Jillyn, Tracey's daughter, continues to be a delight for Bill and I. She was three months old when Bill retired. We were her first baby sitters and have enjoyed watching her grow and become her own person. When the others were young we were both working and did not have the time to spend with them. Jillyn is twelve, she has been on the honor roll every trimester in middle school, she is in her third year of piano, and she is an avid softball player. She is the pitcher for her team. Dan has become a coach and Tracey is serving as treasurer for the Blaze Softball Association. Dan's love of the kids and baseball is an unbeatable combination. Jill is very proud of him. With all of this, Jilly is warm and friendly, has a great sense of humor and is very considerate. I took her with me to a DAR function and she charmed everyone she met. The nicest thing about being a grandmother is allowing myself to brag about my grandkids. I had no idea she ever had a job, and if Jillyn was 3 months old when Bill retired, I was a geriatric 9. And yes Jill is a delight. $5 says she has never bragged about me.

*I was not a senior. I have never said I was going to be a film editor. They never encouraged me to go to USC, but since it is my grandfather's alma mater, maybe it was implied? I do like things to be a certain way, but I can be easily influenced if I find another alternative to be better, more efficient or more logical. If you talk to my mother, she will verify that I have never thrown a tantrum about needing something "my way," not even when I was small, I'll just chalk this up to a "Kettle, it's Gramma, you're black!" situation, and that they didn't spend, and continue not to spend any time with me. It is hard to know someone you never see or talk to. She is right that I don't put too much credence in their recommendations, but I'm not sure why she felt it necessary to share that with all of her friends at the Holidays.

I'm really not bitter, I think it's funny. And to quote the amazing Zora Neale Hurston, "Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me."

4 comments:

Britt said...

That was delightful! Kudos for typing the whole thing. But Joe's great-aunt has you beat in the Christmas letter department: "Karl refuses to get his life together, and i wonder if he ever will"

haylie said...

Did your Grandma mean DAR, as in Daughters of the American Revolution? 'Cause I think that explains a lot.

molly said...

Yes, she did mean Daughters of the American Revolution, and she was very affronted when I refused to join at age 18.

And, POOR KARL! Holy cow.

Michael and Natalie said...

I agree. Who COULD deny themselves the pleasure of your company?! You're probably the person I wish I could spend more time with personally that I never get to see. If Michael and I ever get rich (please don't tell Michael I'm saying this on your blog) and you need investors for a film you want to make, we'd probably invest in it :)