Thursday, August 28, 2014

Before and After: Upholstered Chair


One of my favorite things is to revive objects that are in disrepair or outdated. I found this little lady at an estate sale a while back and was really taken with the lines. There were some structural issues that needed to be addressed as well as a complete overhaul of upholstery. This was my first venture in removing literally everything* except for the wood and starting from scratch. Friends, there was hay and horsehair in there--which is absolutely horrifying. The horsehair would indicate age, as well as the fact that the original color of the upholstery was navy blue, but because of the structural issues I felt like I shouldn't be precious with it, (and like I should wear a particle mask whilst deconstructing.) I wanted to make it work for everyday use and call it a day. So that is what happened.  Are there some imperfections and issues? Of course, I am no upholstery aficionado (aficionada?), but it is significantly improved functionally, and I think aesthetically, and it was great practice for next time. Here she is from the back. I'm usually not a floral or paisley girl, but that is what she** was asking for, so I had to concede.

*I didn't realize that upholstery supply stores around town don't just sell edge roll. Thankfully, a super nice upholstery shop owner gave me a yard of it so I could actually finish the job. One of these days I'm going to have them do a sofa for me.
**Yes, I'm still talking about the chair.

3 comments:

Michael and Natalie said...

SHE'S GORGEOUS!

Aaron Baker said...

In love, a woman may be very strong, it may be very weak. Either love others, either to accept other people's love, fall in love once, that someone ordered her to fall in toward the fire, she would willingly obey.
____________________________
I like: Buy CSGO Skins and Counter Strike Go Sale

Carolyn Widmer said...

I want to say about this article, uummm this is amazing and nice post www.iessaywriter.com