Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Precocious Children and Pastafarians

1. I have no room to talk about precocious children - having been so mightily precocious myself - but I need to tell you this. I am doing a favor for a family I know and spending some time with an 8 year old and a 4 year old. The other day, on our way to the zoo, the 4 year old said, "I'm not trying to judge you, but I think you should have a tv in your car. I mean, it's fine that you don't, but my mommy has a tv in her car and I think you should have one too." I said, "Well [four year old], I don't actually want a tv in my car. And, there usually aren't people in the back seat who would watch a tv if I had one." She countered, "But I'm back here and I'd watch it." The drive to the zoo takes about 12 minutes. Later that day, her mom told me that they had lost the remote to the DVD player about three weeks after they got the car, and have been forced to watch Curious George on repeat for over a year. Something tells me that the monkey cannot be that curious anymore.
Then today, after a while of drawing and coloring together, this little girl announced that she was bored of coloring and was going to go play with her My Little Ponies in another room. I asked if she wanted to play with me, and she said, "No thank you, you wouldn't like the rules I made up." Oh...ok. I'll just be here if you need me, kid.

2. Remember when I took that internet quiz that told me I was actually 100% Mormon, much to my surprise? Well, I finally got around to listening to the Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me from a few weeks ago, and they talked about an Austrian who was able to get his driver's license photo taken with a colander on his head because he subscribed to "pastafarianism." I immediately thought, "I like pasta, I could be that religion!" After doing some research, it seems like I should probably stick it out with Mormonism. But how amazing* would it be to have a pasta strainer on your head in your license photo? I'm pretty sure I'd show that bad boy to every person I met. 

*And by amazing, I mean hilarious.

No comments: